Race: 22nd February 2015
A Sunday stroll in the park it was definitely not as runners faced a mud-bath of a course lashed by icy rain at the Scottish National Cross-Country Championships held at Callendar Park, Falkirk.
Andrew Butchart (Central AC) and Callum Hawkins (Kilbarchan) dominated the UK European Trials last December and it was a case of a repeat performance as the duo slogged their way through the mud-soaked morass of the senior men’s 12km race. Butchart edged ahead starting the third and final lap opening up a thirty metre gap to claim the title ahead of Hawkins with Luke Trainor (Giffnock North) securing individual bronze. Placing all six scorers in the top fifteen Central AC totalled a lowly 46 points winning their fifth consecutive team honours ahead of Shettleston (105) and Corstorphine (107). Dundee Hawkhill finished top Courier country team in 12th (927).
The senior women’s 8km race produced the finish of the day as leader from the halfway point Rosie Smith (Hunters Bog Trotters) looked to be heading for victory but was rapidly closed down by Edinburgh AC’s Madelaine Murray, overhauling the GB internationalist a mere ten metres out from the finish line. Auchterarder athlete Morag MacLarty in third led Central to yet more team gold just ten points ahead of Hunters Bog Trotters with VP Glasgow shading Fife AC for team bronze.
The Under 20 titles went to Jonny Glen (Inverclyde) and Kathryn Gillespie (Central) while Laura Stark (Kilbarchan) won the under 17 women’s championship.
The farthest travelled team Stornoway reaped deserved rewards in the under 17 men’s race as Connon Maclean finished a runaway winner. Freddie Carcas (Edinburgh AC) won the race for 2nd place as Stornoway’s Ewan Campbell placed 3rd. Kilbarchan (70) took the team honours ahead of Stornoway (78) and Central (97) while Fife had to settle for 4th.
Fife AC, however did celebrate gold in the under 15 boys race where Adam Scott finished a clear winner ahead of Alex Carcas (Edinburgh). The down-side unfortunately came soon after the start as Fife’s George Rees, 3rd at January’s Scottish Inter-District Championships, was felled and badly spiked ending the club's domination in this age group. Kilbarchan won team gold ahead of Cambuslang and Giffnock with Fife yet again in 4th. Erin Wallace won the under 15 girls title leading Giffnock to team victory with Pitreavie in 5th.
The 13 titles went to Hamish Armitt (Giffnock) and Emma Frew (Ayr Seaforth). Giffnock took team gold in the girl’s race with Kilbarchan the boy’s winners. Dundee Hawkhill’s top team result came as their under 13 boys placed 5th with Fife 10th and Pitreavie 12th.
- U13 boys: 1 H Armitt (Giffnock North AAC) 11:07, 2 C Campbell (Campbeltown RC) 11:14, 3 S Sprang (Ayr Seaforth AC) 11:15, 14 I McWhinnie (Fife AC) 11:57, 20 G McWhinnie (Fife AC) 12:08, 78 O Keddie (Fife AC) 13:12, 127 P Scott (Fife AC) 14:02, 130 D Crawford (Fife AC) - 166 finished
- U15 girls: 1 E Wallace (Giffnock North AAC) 14:16, 2 N Lang (Aberdeen AAC) 14:28, 3 K Gallagher (Central AC) 14:33, 27 L Mccullagh (Fife AC) 16:13, 50 M Briers (Fife AC) 17:11 - 111 finished
- U15 boys: 1 A Scott (Fife AC) 13:02, 2 F Carcas (Edinburgh AC) 13:13, 3 R Gray (Inverclyde AC) 13:19, 8 E Boyle (Fife AC) 13:42, 28 R Sparks (Fife AC) 14:15, 57 C Morris (Fife AC) 14:51 - 130 finished
- U17 women: 1 L Stark (Kilbarchan AAC) 19:20, 2 G Black (VP Glasgow AC) 17:25, 3 K Oakley (Ayr Seaforth AC) 17:50, 12 A Cruickshanks (Fife AC) 19:34 - 55 finished
- U17 men: 1 C Maclean (Stornoway RAC) 21:18, 2 A Carcas (Edinburgh AC) 21:34, 3 E Campbell (Stornoway RAC) 21:36, 10 T Rees (Fife AC) 22:23, 16 G Malcolm (Fife AC) 22:52, 29 J Ingledew (Fife AC) 23:25, 64 S Fernando (Fife AC) 25:20, 83 R Brocklebank (Fife AC) 26:54 - 96 finished
- U20 women: 1 K Gillespie (Central AC) 16:59, 2 M Maclennan (Edinburgh University H&H) 17:21, 3 C Graves (Garscube H) 17:23, 7 A Simpson (Fife AC) 17:57 - 28 finished
- U20 men: 1 J Glen (Inverclyde AC) 25:47, 2 A Thompson (Central AC) 25:54, 3 E Gillham (Kilbarchan AAC) 26:13, 37 R McKinstray (Fife AC) 30:48 - 49 finished
- Senior women: 1 M Murray (Edinburgh AC) 28:54, 2, R Smith (HBT) 28:58, 3 M MacLarty (Central AC) 29:19, 20 S Mullins (Fife AC) 31:19, 21 M Crawford (Fife AC) 31:21, 33 J Kibble (Fife AC) 32:06, 39 K Jones (Fife AC) 32:24, 57 A McKimmie (Fife AC) 33:09, 82 J Cruickshanks (34:44), 118 B Gibson (Fife AC) 36:18 - 226 finished
- Senior men: 1 A Butchart (Central AC) 38:06, 2 C Hawkins (Kilbarchan AAC) 38:24, 3 L Traynor (Giffnock North AAC) 39:10, 150 D Clarke (Fife AC) 46:47, 192 R Rees (Fife AC) 47:59, 298 K Anthony (Fife AC) 50:59, 326 L Basso (Fife AC) 51:33, 371 D Newman (Fife AC) 53:19, 401 A Milne (Fife AC) 54:31, 414 I Hawkins (Fife AC) 55:09, 446 N Millar (Fife AC) 56:04, 449 D Sleigh (Fife AC) 56:12, 472 C Mathieson (Fife AC) 57:37, 513 B R Smith (Fife AC) 60:38 - 571 finished
- U13 boys: 10th
- U15 boys: 4th
- U17 men: 4th
- Senior women: 4th
- Senior men: 27th